Location Windermere Lake
Ambleside, a small town in the Lake District, a major tourist resort with shops, restaurants, cinema and very popular with walkers and climbers and is one of the best bases for exploring the Lake District.
It is less than 25 miles from our beautiful Holiday Park – Port Haverigg (Millom, Cumbria LA18 4LG)
Things to Do in Ambleside
- The Windermere lake ferry terminal at Waterhead Pier dates back to 1845. Today ferries can be taken to Bowness and Lakeside pier near Newby Bridge, Wray Castle and Brockhole Visitor Centre.
- In the summer months, you can take a horse-drawn carriage from the centre of Ambleside for the 1 mile to Waterhead Pier. As well as the ferry and cruise services (above) you can also hire motor and rowing boats or feed the ducks and swans.
- Waterhead Pier for Windermere Lake Cruises and Boat Hire: A short ferry ride from Waterhead is Brockhole, the Lake District National Park Visitor Centre. Set in 30 acres of gardens it offers boat hire, bike hire, treetop trek, laser clay shooting and archery as well as special family events. Facilities are excellent, including plenty of places to eat and drink. Accessibility is very good.
- There is a huge raft of outdoor adventure activities available around Ambleside and Windermere lake. For more details of activities from abseiling and climbing to bushcraft and sailing see the main Visit Cumbria Activities section or see Walks in the South Lake District for fell walks around Ambleside. (https://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/ambleside/)
Port Haverigg has static caravans and luxury lodges available for sale. It also has holiday homes for hire for all holiday budgets.
It boasts a 200-acre private freshwater lake which has water sports facilities. Most of the plots benefit from water views and have ample open spaces and parking around them.
Places to Visit in Ambleside
- A short walk from the centre of the village leads to Stock Ghyll Force, a spectacular 70-foot waterfall which may be viewed safely from a railed viewpoint. In spring the area under the trees is a carpet of daffodils. Once there were 12 watermills driven by the power of Stock Ghyll and other local becks.
- The 17th Century Bridge House over Stock Ghyll beck is one of the most photographed scenes in Lakeland. It is owned by the National Trust. You can visit without charge to see the 2 sparsely furnished rooms.
- The Armitt Museum on Rydal Rd is a purpose-built home for a collection of books, manuscripts, water-colours, archaeological remains, geological specimens and assorted paraphernalia. It also houses an area dedicated to Beatrix Potter.
Within a 5 minute walk from Port Haverigg Holiday Park is the beautiful Haverigg beach with miles of sand. The town of Millom is small but has all you need: banks, supermarkets, petrol station, restaurants and more.
What’s On in Ambleside (https://www.visitcumbria.com/amb/ambleside/)
- Every year on the first Saturday in July, Ambleside celebrates its Rushbearing Festival. This custom dates back to the days when the earthen floor of the church was strewn with rushes for warmth and cleanliness.
- Ambleside Sports, held every August, is one of the most well known and well attended traditional countryside sports fairs in Cumbria. It is one of the few places to view the famous Cumberland and Westmorland Wrestling.
- Rydal Sheepdog Trials & Hound Show is also held in August every year at Rydal Park, just half a mile north of Ambleside. One of the premier events of its type, spectators are welcome and competitors come from around the country.
- The Ambleside Christmas Lights & Firework Display fair is held in November. The celebrations spread across the town streets and link up with Christmas themed cruises on Windermere Lake.
- Just 4 miles up the road at Grasmere village is the famous Grasmere Sports. Similar to Ambleside Sports, the event is held in late August.
- Port Haverigg Holiday Park (Millom, Cumbria LA18 4LG) on the coast of Cumbria has Holiday Homes for sale, both static caravans and luxury lodges, and holiday homes for hire.
We have new and preloved properties for sale at port Haverigg. Please get in touch if you would like a short stay or a quick visit & we promise that you will fall in love with the place.